Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bitch. Bitch? Bitch!

No matter what, a woman in a position of power will be called a bitch. Repeatedly.


Last week I was (as my kids say) "yelled at" by some random guy on Facebook and told I was a "disgrace to my profession", I didn't care about kids (just myself) and that I "made him want to puke, preferably all over you" because I wanted to "shut down the schools".

In my defense, I have not taken any time off since the protests started, and this was unsolicited abuse. (BTW --somebody needs to tell the tea-party nut- jobs that they aren't the only ones being threatened in this world.)

Friday, I was verbally abused by a student, called a "bitch" and other words that I am too polite to repeat (really—they were that bad – and I was called a "Ginger" wtf?). I have been verbally abused by one or two girls in my career, but most of them had been verbally abused by their fathers and brothers – how do I know this? Because I have met the fathers and brothers and they behaved the same way to me. Boys are, in my experience, 10 times more likely to be verbally abusive.

And today it was reported in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (a very conservative newspaper I might add) State Supreme Court Justice William Prosser is accused of calling Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson a "bitch" and he also threatened to "destroy her".

My biggest problem with this incident is that Prosser claims that Abrahamson "goaded him into it." Really? In what reality is it okay to:

1. Call your boss a "bitch"

2. Threaten to destroy her

3. Call the Chief Justice a "bitch"

4. Threaten anyone you work with

5. Threaten any human being on the face of the planet? Not even Khaddafi gets away with threats.

So… my point is this. Women are bitches because as Tina Fey says, "Bitches get shit done." But it's not okay to call us "bitches" because it's abusive and stupid and reflects much more poorly on the bitch-er than the bitch-ee.

That. Is. All.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering how long it would take for Ginger to go from a derogatory term for redheads to just a derogatory term. le sigh.

    I agree, bitch is still a very loaded term. It's such a double standard, too because a guy who acted the same way would be called something not nearly as loaded. Like a success. Or Donald Trump. le sigh, part deux.

    ReplyDelete